Thursday, May 29, 2014

The power of friendship

"Dime con quien andas y te dire quien eres."

Dad's words still ring true in my ears, especially now that I'm older and attempting to counsel my daughter about her friends. Friends really do have power and influence - and they can often make an impact in what we do.


I'm grateful that my friends have had such a great influence in my life.  It was a friend who sent me information about a scholarship and said - time for you to get your Master's!  A friend who encouraged me to lose weight after I'd gained 60 lbs with my third baby.  A friend who encouraged me to run my 5k, 10k and half marathon.  Another friend who is motivating me to run a full marathon.  My friends not only encourage me, they motivate me to succeed and hold me accountable.  
Medals from my first half marathon
So, today as I reflect on the power of friendships I do keep my dad's words in mind because yes "Friends have a direct influence on who you are." I'm happy that my friends have supported me and held me accountable for things they knew I could achieve if I just had that extra "push".  As you look at your circle of friends, I hope that you too find friends that encourage, motivate, and support you but those who also give you that 'tough love' an who hold you accountable for what you should be doing.

Those friends are invaluable and often hold the key to success for they are willing to push themselves right along with you!  I didn't run my first 5k or 10k alone...nope!  My friends were right by my side.  I'm grateful to all those women who saw something in me and helped me achieve what I did.  

Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment